Your Role In Serving the Freshest Foods:
You play the important role of
ensuring that your family is served the freshest foods. Below are some simple
guidelines to help you.
- At the supermarket, purchase items that need refrigeration
last. This will reduce the amount of time that these items are exposed to
- Go directly home after your store visit to prevent perishables
from exposure to damaging temperatures.
- Place perishable food directly in the refrigerator or
freezer. Do not leave these products outside of refrigeration for extended
Food Freshness And Healthy Eating:
- Most fresh produce items lose nutritional value as they
are exposed to time and temperature. The fresher these products are when
eaten, the greater the nutritional benefits for your family.
- The large majority of pathogenic bacteria multiply more
rapidly when exposed to temperatures above 38 degrees. Knowing the cumulative
time and temperature exposure of products such as fish, meats, poultry and
dairy is important to identifying food products that may cause food borne
- Eating the freshest foods contributes to your family’s overall eating pleasure and may
build the basis for eating healthy.